Before you start looking for a home you should ask yourself a few questions:
- Where do you want to live? Do you want to be close to schools, shopping or work?
- What kind of house would you like (need)? Are you looking for a particular style? How many bedrooms and bathrooms do you want? Do you want a yard?
- How much house can you afford? Have you consulted a Realtor or mortgage lender to determine the size of the mortgage you would qualify for?
Here are a few tips to help you get organized:
- Pull a credit report on yourself and make sure the information is accurate. If you find any errors take steps to correct them immediately.
- Browse through real estate listings on the property search page. This will give you a good feel for the types of homes that are on the market and what they cost.
- Visit open houses on the weekend. It doesn’t cost anything to look, and looking at a few different homes might give you ideas for things you’d like in a house but haven’t considered.
- Start saving money – you’ll need to have cash on hand for a down payment and closing costs.
- Don’t incur any additional debt. Pay down your credit cards – and don’t apply for any new ones. Don’t make any major purchases on credit – buy the furniture or car later.
- Schedule a home buyers consultation to learn about the entire process and what you can expect.