- Clean out the clutter
- Keep stairways and entryways well lit
- Keep basement bright with new paint or lighting
- Ventilate or dehumidify
- Repair cracked floors and walls
- Stack items against the walls
- To brighten, paint cabinets and put up new curtains.
- Remove any appliances from your counters.
- Leave a delicious smell in the kitchen.
- Repair any dripping faucets
- Keep fresh towels in the bathroom
- Remove stains from toilets, bathtubs and sinks
- Keep sinks and mirrors shining
- Unclog sinks and bathtubs
- Use a deodorizer in the bathroom area
- Replace old caulking around the bathtubs
- Have all plaster in top shape
- Check ceilings for leak stains
- Use white and neutrals if painting and redecorating
- Clean fireplace
- Wash windows and replace any cracked or broken glass
- All windows should open and close
- Keep draperies open, window shades up
- Replace burned out light bulbs
- Be sure every light switch works
- Discard items now that will be disposed of when moving
- Straighten up the closets
- Keep pets away during showings
- Lubricate any sticking or squeaking doors
- Turn off all televisions
- Invest in landscaping where it can be seen at first sight.
- Cut back over-grown shrubbery and keep lawn mowed.
- Paint your house if necessary.
- Repaint front shutters, window frames, and front door.
- In winter, walkways should be free of snow and ice.